Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vintage Look Luggage Collection

I've been obsessed with vintage look trunks for quite some time now. My dream suitcase is one by Globe Trotter, in Safari 21" carry on because I don't want baggage handlers to throw my suitcase around and wreck it. This has happened to me before =(
But.....It's around $1000 and hard for me to get in Australia. I did manage to find something like the one below a couple years ago on brandsexclusive.com.au. However, it was $299 discounted!! The original was something around $600. Not worth it in my opinion. Ebay was around $250 at the time but not including the little trunk. Just found out that GMarket has these but shipping would be expensive. 

At the beginning of this year I managed to get one at a price I was willing to pay. It was from ASOS and it was also my first ASOS purchase
I'm not in love with the tartan exterior for this one but it was the style of suitcase I wanted. Also, how many luggage stores would well these types of suitcases at a reasonable price?

After a mini holiday last week I decided to keep searching for more suitcases (I don't know why I have this urge to buy more suitcases considering there is over 10 in my house). I managed to find the suitcase I want at a price I was willing to pay. Not my ideal choice of colour combination but it was the best out of the available 3 (black, hot pink or leopard print with hot pink trims). Got it from topbuy.com.au. I paid $110 all up and it was delivered in 1 day!!! Also signed up to their newsletter to get a $10 coupon. 

Carryon luggage and beauty trunk

 Inside the large trunk

Combination lock and 'dummy' magnetic straps

Luggage Tag for carryon

Wheel and 'feet' up close

Both have their own protective bag

Inside the beauty trunk

Short and long shoulder straps for the beauty trunk

Short strap is used to hold the beauty trunk to the carryon

Features: *from the site*
Upright Hard Case 54cm (21')
  • Telescopic handle
  • Handle: Top and side carry handles
  • Internal fastening straps
  • Wheels: 2 x Rear wheels
  • 1 x Main compartment secured with two combination locks and magnetic fasteners on buckle strap
  • 1 x Internal mesh zippered pocket
  • 1 x Removable toiletry bag
  • Interior: Fully lined
  • Colour: Black with white stitch detailing
  • Weight:3.5 kg
  • Dimensions: (W) 34cm x (D) 20cm x (H) 54cm
Small Toiletries Case 31cm (12')
  • Handles: Side handle and detachable shoulder
  • 1 x Main compartment secured with one combination locks and magnetic fasteners on buckle strap
  • 1 x Internal mesh zippered pocket
  • Interior: Fully lined
  • Colour: Black with white stitch detailing 
  • Weight: 1.1kg
  • Dimensions: (W) 31.5cm x (D) 12cm x (H) 22cm

I love the luggage but given the weight and depending on which airplane carrier you're flying with the maximum weight of your contents is restricted to 3.5 - 6.5 kg. Which isn't much. For a frequent flyer this luggage is not useful as the weight of it will take up the majority of your baggage allowance. For an occasional flyer it's fun to take around and you can store the majority of your luggage in your check-in bag. I would recommend this for road trips or it could be used as a picnic trunk. 

Pros
Unique design
Vintage chic
Reasonably priced

Cons
Heavy
Not much weight left over for contents

No comments:

Post a Comment